The Motorola DMR radios typically have integral GPS capability. This is directly supported by APRS, and is a very useful feature.
There are multiple steps to enabling this functionality:
- Attached an active antenna. These are available on ebay and amazon for under $10. Key is to have an SMA male connector.
- Register on Brandmeister which will enable you to utilize the 'Self Care' menu
- In the Brandmeister selfcare menu set the following:
- GPS to Motorola
- APRS Interval to 600 seconds
- APRS Callsign to your callsign
- APRS Text to something like "Alan's XPR-4550 Mobile" or similar
- In the Motorola CPS set the following General settings
- GNS Enabled (This is the GPS)
- Other settings
- Also in the Motorola CPS, set the following on Brandmeister channels you wish to allow APRS reports from:
After the above,you should see:
- The little sat dish icon turn solid as it picks up a signal
- The radio may transmit a few times the first time it registers on the network
- I received some odd messages back from BM as texts when the radio first activated
- The radio may transmit when you change channels as it appears to register once on the frequency. I sometimes see the dish icon go out, then back on when I change channels.
From then out you should be able to see your status on https://aprs.fi Here is mine: https://aprs.fi/info/a/KM4BA